Wicked Tuna Season 9 Coming Soon To Disney+
Disney has announced that the ninth season of the National Geographic series, Wicked Tuna, will be coming to Disney+ in the United States on Friday 18th September.
National Geographic’s hit series Wicked Tuna is back with an all-new season of drama on the high seas. Follow a group of salty commercial fishermen from the nation’s oldest seaport, Gloucester, Massachusetts, as they make their living through rod-and-reel fishing in pursuit of the prized bluefin tuna.
The ninth season consists of 15 episodes:
- It’s the first day of a new bluefin season, and the Gloucester captains are feeling confident, ready to put meat on deck and bring home the first fish of the season. But this year, a new fleet of grudge-holding outsiders is coming to take that all away. These incoming “tourists” are prepared to go head-to-head with the veterans and do whatever it takes to come out on top.
- The competition heats up as the original Gloucester captains realize the newcomers mean business. When the new boats decide to team up and work together to get ahead in the game, the veterans start to feel the pressure of defending their home turf. As rivalries intensify, the original fleet resorts to drastic measures and sees that teamwork just might pay off.
- Spooked by the sudden success of the new captains, the Gloucester veterans put their differences aside and work together to make sure a veteran boat comes out on top this season. While these unlikely alliances may just be the spark everyone needs, a spark between Captain T.J. Ott of the Hot Tuna and Marissa McLaughlin of the Pinwheel catches the attention of the fleet.
- This year’s bluefin quota is just one fish per day, and tensions run high as the limited quota diminishes. When the outsiders employ sneak attacks in an attempt to steal fish from the veterans, the fight becomes personal for longtime rivals Sam Law of the Kraken and Tyler McLaughlin of the Pinwheel, and every boat’s loss is another boat’s gain in the race to the top of the leaderboard.
With several family legacies going back generations, fishing is personal for the Gloucester captains. And as the competition between the OGs and the tourists heats up, Gloucester captains rely on family ties. Two captains share a bond as one faces the loss of his father while another grieves. Meanwhile, three generations fish together on one boat in an epic battle for bluefin.
- The Gloucester fleet is used to dominating its home turf, but as the newcomers begin to come out of a long dry spell, the competition starts to heat up. Summer weather brings a pack of “googans,” or recreational fishermen, to Gloucester waters, and the captains are forced to test out different fishing spots in order to escape the crowds.
- Just when the captains begin to hit their strides, bad news reaches the fleet: The bluefin markets are oversaturated, threatening to shut down the fishery. With large paychecks becoming fewer and farther between, the captains are on edge as they try to maintain momentum in a dire market. Every catch matters, because their next fish could be their last.
- With an official deadline set for the market to shut down, the captains and crews have just 48 hours to make their final catches and bring in their final paychecks. With time running out and the possibility of “tomorrow” fading away, tension is palpable among the boats as everyone pushes themselves to extreme measures for one last shot at glory.
The bluefin market in Gloucester remains closed, but not forever. After four long days off the water, the boats get the green light to start up again, and everyone is eager to make up for lost time. But when payouts at the fishery are lower than expected, disappointment sets in across the board as the captains realize there is still a long road ahead until the market stabilizes.
- With the bluefin markets reopened, it’s all hands on deck to get back in the game. As the mates in the fleet step up to prove their worth, some captains give their second-in-command free reign; others hesitate to trust their crews. As the market begins to restabilize, can captains and crews set their differences aside long enough to put meat on deck?
- The captains face intense weather conditions just days after the market shut down and must decide whether it’s worth risking it all to ride out the storm or stay in and lose out on a potential paycheck. With extreme conditions and high seas beating down on the boats, and taking a toll on the captains both mentally and physically, everyone faces the ultimate choice: fight or flight?
- As the competition heats up, the captains will try anything to appease the tuna gods for a little luck. Captain T.J. Ott of the Hot Tuna brings his good luck charm onboard, while Captain Tyler McLaughlin of the Pinwheel decides to share his lucky charm with the veteran fleet. Meanwhile, Captain Dave Marciano and his crew aboard the Falcon endure their longest fish fight of the season.
- As the bluefin quota quickly diminishes, the competition hits its fiercest point yet. With the time left in the season ticking down, the captains are tested — who can withstand the pressure, and who will crack? And when monster catches, including the biggest bluefin of the season, take the bait, the control of the leaderboard could lie with anyone — a Gloucester vet or a newcomer.
- The end of the season is near, and the Gloucester vets are being bested by their rivals, who have taken control of the leaderboard. As the captains fight for what could be their last bluefin, the battle between the Pinwheel and the Kraken turns into an all-out war. Will these captains be able to focus and put meat on deck, or will they finally reach their breaking point?
- In the explosive season finale, the fleet continues to battle extreme weather, monster bluefin and uncertain profits as everyone fights to land the No. 1 spot — and one last tuna. With hours left, it’s anyone’s opportunity to bring home the winning fish. Will the Gloucester captains be successful on their home turf, or will the “tourists” prove too strong to defeat?
Are you looking forward to seeing the ninth season of Wicked Tuna on Disney+?