One of this year’s biggest new series to be released is “Y: The Last Man”, which is based on DC Comics’ acclaimed series by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra.

The drama “Y: The Last Man” traverses a post-apocalyptic world in which a cataclysmic event decimates every mammal with a Y chromosome but for one cisgender man and his pet monkey. The series follows the survivors in this new world as they struggle with their efforts to restore what was lost and the opportunity to build something better.

The first season is currently being released weekly on Hulu in the United States and on Disney+ in the UK.


However, it has been announced today by the showrunner, Eliza Clark, on her social media that FX won’t be going forward with a second season.

 

 

It looks like the creative team are going to be looking for another network to potentially release the series.  If another network does pick it up, it’s likely the second season wouldn’t be released on Hulu or Disney+ internationally, unless Disney retains distribution rights to the show.


Will another network pick up “Y: The Last Man”?  The show has only been out about a month, so it hasn’t had time to build a large audience.  With the series being based on a DC comic, HBO Max might be a good guess at where it could potentially end up, but right now, the future isn’t looking so good.

Eliza Clark has previously said she envisioned “Y: The Last Man” continuing for 5 or 6 seasons at least, but it looks like FX didn’t feel that way.

I personally hope that it does get picked up. I’ve been really enjoying the show on Disney+ every week, but, unfortunately, this cancellation news has come before the first season has finished.  A few more episodes of the first season are still left to be released, which means it’s likely some people might not continue watching because they know it’s been cancelled.  Making it harder for the series to maintain its momentum for a second season.


It also continues to add to the growing list of Star Originals being released on Disney+ internationally that have been cancelled, including “Helstrom”, “Filthy Rich”, “Next”, “Mixedish”, “Bless The Harts”, and “Rebel”.    When “Rebel” was cancelled, the creative team tried to find another home for the series and failed, as did the team behind the Disney+ Original series, “The Right Stuff”.

What do you think of the cancellation of “Y: The Last Man”?

 











Roger Palmer

Roger has been a Disney fan since he was a kid and this interest has grown over the years. He has visited Disney Parks around the globe and has a vast collection of Disney movies and collectibles. He is the owner of What's On Disney Plus & DisKingdom. Email: Roger@WhatsOnDisneyPlus.com Twitter: Twitter.com/RogPalmerUK Facebook: Facebook.com/rogpalmeruk

Related Article

Write a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 Comments

  1. Only1PJA October 18, 2021

    Very disappointing news - the original comic is an all time classic series that told its story and didn't outstay its welcome. I can understand a network being reluctant to a 5-6 year commitment to start with but cancelling a show part way through its first season is so frustrating - especially when the show is having a mixed medium release in multiple territories and streaming figures are notoriously rarely released or made public so it's hard to judge how successful (or not) a show is. There's no time being given for a show to find an audience and grow through word of mouth recommendations :( I do hope the show is able to continue but agree that it is unlikely to do so under the Disney umbrella which could potentially complicate things when trying to find a new home. As least Only Murders... has been picked up for a second season :)