Disney has released some new casting details on the upcoming fifth season of “Grown-ish”, which returns later this year.
Following the departure of most of the original cast in the last season, following their graduation. In the fifth season “black-ish” star Marcus Scribner heads over to join his TV sister Yara Shahidi on the Freeform spinoff, reprising his role as Andre Johnson Jr. as he embarks on his own journey to being “grown.”
Award-winning playwright and producer Zakiyyah Alexander (“Russian Doll,” “La Brea”) and “black-ish” executive producer and showrunner Courtney Lilly will come on board as co-showrunners.
Deadline has also revealed that Daniella Perkins, who was introduced in the fourth season, has become a series regular. Daniella plays the part of Kiela, who is Luca’s little sister but she’s trying to forge her own path at Cal U.
Also joining the show are Matthew Sato . Tara Raani, Justine Skye , Amelie Zilber, Ceyair Wright and Slick Woods.
- Tara Raani plays Zaara, a first-generation Muslim-American. She is a sophomore, type A overachiever with a lot of swagger. Zaara is queer and open with her sexuality. Tara has previously starred in the online series, “The Boobtube“
- Justin Skye plays Annika, a funny, sharp, and extremely ambitious freshman. She chose Cal U because it was good for her brand. Justin has appeared in “Already Gone”, “Tales” and “How High 2″.
- Amelie Zilber plays Lauryn, a freshman who is a little shy and awkward, and sometimes a bit naive, so she overcompensates in an attempt to mask her insecurities. She’s a devout Christian, but very open-minded. Amelie is popular on social media and hosts a Facebook show, “Don’t @ Me“
- Ceyair Wright plays Zeke, a contemporary all-American football player who is super confident and comfortable in his own skin, but still extremely endearing. Ceyair has previously starred in “Space Jam: A New Legacy”.
- Matthew Sato plays Brandon, a sophomore at Cal U, who is charming as hell, smart, and an overachiever who’s comfortable in any situation. His eyes are set on a political future with the goal of creating change. Matthew has previously starred in the Disney+ Original series, “Doogie Kamealoha M.D.”
- Slick Woods plays Slick, a freshman who tells it like it is. Slick Is a style icon with no filter. Slick is a well-known model.
“Grown-ish” season five returns to Freeform on Wednesday 20th July 2022 at 10 pm, with episodes available on Hulu the following date. No international release date for the fifth season has yet been announced.
The previous four seasons are available to watch now on Hulu and Disney+ in the United States, while the series is also a Star Original series on Disney+ around the world.
Are you looking forward to the return of “Grown-ish”?