Disney Reveal Huge Lineup Of New Latin American Disney+ Originals
Walt Disney Company Latin America has released details on some of its upcoming Disney+ Originals that have been produced for Disney + by renowned production houses in Brazil, Mexico, Colombia and Argentina, and starring renowned talents from the whole region. The new content includes fictional stories, talk shows, documentaries, live shows and more, that will appeal to every member of the family.
“At The Walt Disney Company Latin America we know the importance that locally relevant stories have for our audience. That is why for more than two decades we have produced original content from and for Latin America and the rest of the world. Now with Disney + we offer, in a unique and exclusive destination, continuous, permanent and frequent access to this repertoire of original content from the region that connects emotionally with each member of the family while being accessible at the same time in other continents, allowing the export of the rich and vast Latin American creativity. This is why we reinforce our strategic commitment to Latin America to produce original content with the talents of the region. Initially, we have already developed more than 70 productions that are in different stages of production:15 in Brazil, 21 in Mexico, 29 in Argentina and 6 in Colombia ”
Stated Diego Lerner, President, The Walt Disney Company Latin America.
Disney + also offers local Latin American production content from Disney Channels, as well as other relevant local content, acquired to be premiered exclusively for subscribers of the streaming service in the region.
Taking into account the culture of each place, three of the new regional productions with an exclusive premiere on Disney + were developed in three versions (Brazil, Mexico and Argentina), related to the audiences of each country through presenters of local resonance, with production by Non Stop for National Geographic. These are:
- Flying Over, a series that is already available exclusively on Disney +, which offers a unique look at the most varied and impressive landscapes in Latin America and from the original perspective of a drone it travels the Yucatan Peninsula, Patagonia, the Samaná Peninsula, the Camino del Inca and more. Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro , Mexican musician Jay de la Cueva and Argentine musician Fito Páez narrate the versions from Brazil, Mexico and Argentina, respectively.
- The Volunteers: Everything is for Science series, which will premiere exclusively on Disney +, addresses everyday questions from curious minds and examines scientific theories in the most fun way: putting them to the test in the flesh. The series is presented by Rafael Cortez (Brazil version), Adal Ramones (Mexico version) and Marley (Argentina version).
- What you didn’t know about humor, a docuseries with an anthropological perspective on humor that will premiere exclusively on Disney +, proposing a journey through the evolution of laughter based on interviews, archive material and experiments to deconstruct the DNA of Latin American humor. It is led by three comedians: Fabio Porchat (Brazil version), Alex Fernández (Mexico version) and Miguel Granados(Argentine version). The series includes leading figures from the region, such as the Brazilians Carol Zoccoli, Carlos Alberto de Nobrega, Paulo Vieira, the Mexicans Florinda Meza, Eugenio Derbez, Franco Escamilla, Luis de Alba, Héctor Suárez and the Argentines Malena Guinzburg, Adrián Suar, Sebastián Wainraich, Roberto Moldavsky, among others.
They will join the offer of original Latin American productions, documentaries and fictions such as:
- El repatriado, the story of a Mexican migrant boy who is adopted in the United States after the dramatic separation from his biological family at an illegal border crossing. Turned into a professional boxer and fully adapted to American culture, he lives a transformative experience when he is surprisingly deported to his native country. Filmed on locations in Mexico and the United States, the series is produced by BTF Media.
- Chaparreando , one of the first acquisitions that Disney + will present in exclusive streaming, starring Mexican superstar Omar Chaparro and his son Emiliano, and co-produced by 3Pas Studios and Pantaya, with executive production by Eugenio Derbez . The series follows father and son on an epic motorcycle tour of Mexico that reconnects travellers with their own roots and helps them reconnect with each other.
To pure music
Disney + will also incorporate original productions and acquired content that features music, a central element in Disney content that is now being approached in new and diverse ways. Some of these productions are:
- Conecta y canta , led by Colombian artist Sebastián Yatra and produced by BTF Media, is another of the exclusive acquisitions in the region produced for Disney +. A musical contest brings together 40 boys and girls from Mexico who sing from their homes and are rated by a jury of Mexican celebrities made up of Mario Domm, Kenia Os and Poncho Lizárraga .
- Entwined, an exclusive Disney + original production by Pampa Films that follows the story of Allegra, a girl with a passion for musical comedy who embarks on a unique journey through time to unite her family and fulfil her professional dream.
To enjoy with the family
The platform will also feature original productions from Disney Channels Latin America with an exclusive premiere on Disney +. The audience will be able to enjoy:
- Bia, a Upside Down World, a Pegsa and Non Stop production for Disney +, which takes the most beloved characters from the hit original Disney Bia series in opposite versions, who face a competition to become big stars
- Soy Luna: The Last Concert, a special produced by Frame Zero for Disney +, dedicated to the latest live show of Soy Luna, the acclaimed Disney Channel original series starring Karol Sevilla , Ruggero Pasquarelli and a talented Latin American cast.
- Arnoldo’s ristorantino, a series produced by Non Stop for Disney +, and starring Diego Topa, which follows the adventures of chef Arnoldo and his assistant Francis – beloved characters from the original Disney Junior Latin America Junior Express production – as they open their own restaurant in the small town of Bahía Bonita.
In addition, the new season of the Nat Geo Kids production will also be available with a premiere only on Disney +:
- Opa Popa Dupa, a puppet show for preschool-age boys and girls produced for Disney + by Telecolombia. Through humor and music, the production addresses themes such as science, technology, space and physics to encourage care for the environment and natural resources.
Commitment to local production
To date, The Walt Disney Company in Latin America is working on the development of more than 70 projects in different locations in the region. The landscapes of Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Colombia are protagonists of the stories that can be seen around the world through Disney +, among them:
- Rereading Mafalda , an in-depth look at Quino’s famous cartoon that will tell, among other things, how it is that after so many years it is still so relevant and loved around the world. The documentary reality produced by Non Stop has previously unreleased material and exclusive interviews.
- Dads on request, a series produced by BTF Media that follows the story of a girl named California, who embarks on a trip through Mexico with her three parents to meet her mother after an enigmatic and prolonged disappearance.
- Everything the same , or not , a fiction series produced by Cinefilm that revolves around the adventures of a group of friends in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at the time they are starting high school.
- My music, my land, the series of interviews produced by Bourke that comes from the hand of Radio Disney. From the streets that saw them grow up, prominent artists of the region share their lives, their art and their secrets. By discovering their cities, the audience will get closer to their music and themselves.
- Fuego Amigo, an innovative musical that narrates the universe of trap; and Martinha, who tells the story of a girl who quickly becomes an internationally renowned visual artist, two original ideas from Cohn-Duprat for Disney +.
The most beloved local original productions
Disney + is also the place for content that in recent years has deeply connected with audiences in Latin America. Unforgettable Disney Channel stories such as Violetta, Soy Luna, Disney Bia, Highway: Rolling Adventure and Art Attack are now available on the platform ; Disney XD productions such as O11CE, Juacas, Peter Punk and Jungle Nest ; and iconic Disney Junior series such as Nivis, Friends from Another World, Junior Express, and Morko and Mali . All of these original series are available to fans of all ages and to new audiences. Also they will be added When it touches the bell , of Disney Channel; Bárbara’s flower shop, Disney Junior’s house, Clarilú’s garden, Playground and Playhouse Disney , from Disney Junior, among others.
More details about each of the aforementioned original productions will be released soon, as well as the other content developed in the region and that will exclusively reach Disney + in Latin America and other international markets, during the remainder of 2020 and the course of 2021.
It’s currently unknown if Disney will release these Latin American Disney+ Originals to other countries at Disney+. Hopefully, some of these shows can be released globally, especially the ones with have multiple versions with different local presenters.
What Latin America Disney+ Original would you like to watch?