With the UK government saying life might not go back to normal for another 6 months and the US pushing its advice to the end of April, Sony has announced that it is pushing back the release dates for many of its upcoming movies including Marvel’s Morbius.
It has moved nearly all of its movies out of 2020, pushing them back into 2021. By pushing these titles back, it will give them time to make their movies, which would have been released throughout 2021 and beyond.
See the full schedule of release date changes below.
- “Greyhound” (Columbia Pictures) – TBD (from 6/12/2020)
- “Fatherhood” (Columbia Pictures) – 10/23/2020 (from 1/15/2021)
- “Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway” (Columbia Pictures) – 1/15/2021 (from 08/07/2020)
- “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” (Columbia Pictures) – 03/05/2021 (from 07/10/2020)
- “Sony/Marvel Morbius” (Columbia Pictures) – 03/19/2021 (from 07/31/2020)
- “Uncharted” (Columbia Pictures) – 10/8/2021 (from 03/05/2021)
- Untitled Sony Marvel (Columbia Pictures) – TBD (from 10/08/2021)
Currently, Disney+ doesn’t have any of the Marvel movies like Spider-Man: Homecoming, however Sony’s current deal with Starz is due to end in 2021, which would allow Disney to negotiate for access to Marvel shows for Hulu or Disney+. With movies like Morbius now being connected to the events of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, such as Vulture appearing in the new movie. It does make more sense for the companies to make a deal, but unfortunately, we are all going to have to wait a little longer.
Universal has recently pushed back the next installment of Fast and the Furious, but is releasing its Trolls: World Tour movie digitally rather than holding it back.
Disney has delayed Mulan, Antlers, New Mutants and Black Widow, but hasn’t yet announced new dates, with later movies such as Artemis Fowl, Soul and Jungle Cruise also likely to be delayed. It’s expected they will also follow suit in reorganizing its entire release schedule, rather than dropping them onto digital platforms and Disney+.
What do you think of all these scheduled changes?
Source – Variety