Disney+ At D23 Expo 2022 Guide
After a three-year break, the D23 Expo returns to Anaheim, California, on September 9th, 10th, and 11th, 2022.
This special bi-annual event brings together all the worlds of Disney under one roof for three packed days of presentations, pavilions, experiences, concerts, sneak peeks, shopping, and more. The event provides fans with unprecedented access to Disney films, streaming, television, games, theme parks, and celebrities.
At the last D23 Expo in 2019, Disney+ was just months away from launching, and Disney used the event to promote not just the launch lineup of shows and films, but also to announce new content coming down the road, such as the “Obi-Wan Kenobi” series. And this year’s D23 Expo also is shaping up to promote Disney+ and its new content even more.
Throughout the weekend, Disney+ subscribers attending D23 Expo will be able to unlock special giveaways or promotions at Offer Spots on the show floor when they present their Disney+ subscriber pass, which can be picked up at D23 Expo starting on Thursday 8th September 2022.
Here’s a look at some of the Disney+ related panels, activities and much more, that will be available at this year’s D23 Expo:
Note: This is subject to change, and this guide will be updated with new details as it’s announced.
Hall D23 Presentations
The biggest presentations take place in “Hall D23,” the 6,900-seat venue located in Hall D of the Anaheim Convention Center. The schedule of Hall D23 Events and Presentations is as follows:
This presentation kicks off at D23 Expo on Friday, September 9 at 10:30 a.m. with an epic presentation that includes the Disney Legends Awards Ceremony, featuring Disney CEO Bob Chapek. Legends will once again honour those visionaries and artists who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy.
Looking Ahead With The Walt Disney Studios
Friday, September 9th, 3:30 p.m., Hall D23
Disney Animation and Pixar are teaming up with Disney Live Action on Friday afternoon, welcoming thousands of Disney fans to Hall D23 for a special look at upcoming films and series. Pixar Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Pete Docter and Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Chief Creative Officer Jennifer Lee will present never-before-seen footage, surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by all-star voice talent from the studios’ upcoming slate of original animated films and series. Fans will get an insider’s view at Pixar’s unique, perspective-shifting, long-form series Win or Lose, which launches on Disney+ next year. Pixar’s Peter Sohn, who helms the 2023 feature Elemental, will transport fans to a city where fire-, water-, land-, and air-residents live side by side. Disney Animation’s Academy Award-winning director Don Hall will journey alongside fans deep into an uncharted and treacherous land with Strange World—releasing November 23—and Disney Animation and their collaborators from the Pan-African comic book company Kugali will reveal new details about Iwájú, a long-form sci-fi series set in Lagos, Nigeria, that launches on Disney+ next year. Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.
Marvel, 20th Century Studios & Lucasfilm Panel
Saturday, September 10th, 10 a.m., Hall D23
Filmmakers, celebrity talent and surprise guests join representatives from Marvel Studios, 20th Century Studios and Lucasfilm, onstage in Hall D23 to showcase theatrical and Disney+ titles on Saturday, September 10, at 10 a.m. Going behind the scenes of these studios’ highly anticipated films, specials and series, attendees will see exclusive footage and be among the first to learn what’s in the works.
Disney’s Epic Entertainment Showcase
Saturday, September 10th, 3:30 p.m., Hall D23
Join Disney Branded Television for an exclusive showcase that highlights a legacy of excellence in storytelling and includes talent appearances, performances, and never-before-seen previews of original content for Disney+, Disney Channel, and Disney Junior. An exclusive showcase of upcoming content that will carry on the legacy of excellence in storytelling with a look at the new Disney+ Original series National Treasure, American Born Chinese, and The Santa Clause.
A Boundless Future: Disney Parks Experiences and Products
Sunday, September 11th, at 10:30 a.m., Hall D23
On Sunday, September 11, at 10:30 a.m., join Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Chairman Josh D’Amaro for a look at Disney’s boundless future. With announcements and updates on the magic happening around the world in parks, on the high seas, at home, and beyond, attendees will get a behind-the-scenes look at the big dreams of Disney Imagineers. Every Disney fan will want to be a part of this special presentation full of exciting news and surprises.
Disney Bundle Stage
The Disney Bundle Pavilion
On the show floor, The Disney Bundle Pavilion will showcase the unprecedented collection of entertainment and sports content offered across Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ with special programming and experiences.
Disney+ will exhibit two unique installations for fans to experience. A lenticular installation offers guests an opportunity to look for their reflection among the moving images, while a Disney+ holographic display will surprise guests with beamed-in appearances by their favorite characters.
Hulu invites guests to “Check in to Their Obsessions” as they walk through the iconic Hulu green vessel and are transported to a world filled with all their Hulu favorites, offering something for every type of viewer— whether they’re a pop culture aficionado or reality TV buff, or if their watch list is filled with adult animation or critically-acclaimed dramas. They will be able to join the Belchers for a Bob’s Burgers family photo opportunity, and put themselves in the hot seat of a confessional from their favorite reality TV shows, as they navigate a variety of immersive experiences.
ESPN+ offers fans a backstage pass that will give them a close-up look at some of the most iconic memorabilia in sports, including the College Football Playoff trophy, the UFC Championship belt, an El Clásico game ball, and more. Then, fans can complete their VIP fan experience by snapping a photo sitting behind a sports news desk.
The Disney Bundle Pavilion Stage Programming
Additionally, The Disney Bundle Pavilion stage will host three full days of panels, trivia, activities, fan-favorite screenings, and more, highlighting the diverse offering of shows, movies, and sports from Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+.
Highlights of the tentative schedule are as follows with times subject to change (all times PT):
Friday 9th September 2022
11:35 a.m. – Pixar’s Onward Story Presentation by Story Supervisor Kelsey Mann
12:00 p.m. – To the Edge of the Unknown from National Geographic with Jimmy Chin and Alex Honnold
12:35 p.m. – Sketch with an Animator: Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Eric Goldberg
1:55 p.m. – The History of Cars: Road Trip from the Original Film to New Series Cars on the Road with Creative Director Jay Ward
3:50 p.m. – Across the Bundle Spotlights: Hispanic Voices Panel
6:25 p.m. – Hulu Dance Party
Saturday 10th September 2022
12:10 p.m. – A Conversation with Frozen Filmmakers with Academy Award®Winners Chris Buck (Director) and Peter Del Vecho (Producer)
1:10 p.m. – Sketch with an Animator: Solar Opposites’ Lindsay Carrozza
3:50 p.m. – Across the Bundle Spotlights: Made by Her Panel
4:50 p.m. – Meet the Muppets: The Muppets Mayhem Conversation Hosted by Tahj Mowry
6:25 p.m. – Hulu Dance Party
Sunday 11th September 2022
10:00 a.m. – A Conversation with Encanto Filmmakers with Academy Award Winners Jared Bush (Director/Writer), Clark Spencer (Producer), and Yvett Merino (Producer)
3:50 p.m. – Across the Bundle Spotlights: Black History Always Panel
6:25 p.m. – Hulu Dance Party
D23 Expo will also feature panels, shows and talent appearances across its five stages: Hall D23, Premiere Stage, Backlot Stage, Walt Disney Archive Stage and Hyperion Stage. Exciting panels include a sneak peek into ABC Entertainment’s upcoming special “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” and a special fan experience celebrating “The Simpsons” reign as the longest-running animated series of all time.
Here are some Disney+ panel highlights:
Friday 9th September 2022
Cesar Millan: Better Human, Better Dog.
10:15 am – 11:00 am PT on the Hyperion Stage
- Pet owners across America need help, and Cesar Millan is ready to show them the way. His positivity in troubled times and his heartwarming transformations make us feel like we can overcome all obstacles, starting with our own four-legged pals!
10:45 a.m on the Premiere Stage: –
- A chat with the cast and creatives of this iconic show.
ABC’s Home Economics
12:30 p.m. on the Backlot Stage
- The stars of ABC’s Home Economics discuss the making of the family comedy and share an exclusive look at the upcoming season three premiere, filmed at Disneyland.
Behind The Scenes: ABC’s Beauty and the Beast: a 30th Celebration
3:45 p.m on the Hyperion Stage
- ABC previews the upcoming special.
National Geographic Special Screening: Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory
5:45 p.m. on the Hyperion Stage
- 29-year-old Bertie Gregory takes viewers on an epic journey that pushes into the most spectacular and secretive corners of our wild world.
Saturday 10th September 2022
Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
11:45 a.m. on the Hyperion Stage
- The cast and creative team share an exclusive sneak peek of the series before its debut on Disney Channel and Disney+.
12 p.m. on the Backlot stage
- The cast and creators of the Emmy Award-winning animated series and The Bob’s Burgers Movie! in a lively panel discussion.
A Celebration of Disney Animation’s Encanto
3:30 pm – 4:30 pm PT on the Premiere Stage
- Join the team behind the Academy Award-winning Walt Disney Animation Studios’ hit Encanto for stories from the making of the film—and even a few surprises!
National Geographic Special Screening: Limitless with Chris Hemsworth
5:45 pm – 7:15 pm PT On the Hyperion Stage
- Though he unfortunately won’t be at D23 Expo, get an exclusive first look at Chris Hemsworth’s new Disney+ series Limitless! He puts his body and mind through transformative experiences, sharing tips that can help you too have a healthier life, body, and mind.
The Santa Clauses
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm PT on the Premiere Stage
- Join The Santa Clauses cast and creatives for a lively chat.
Sneak Peek at “Zootopia+”
6–7 p.m. on the Backlot Stage.
- Get a first look at the highly anticipated animated series Zootopia+, coming to Disney+ from Walt Disney Animation Studios, with directors Josie Trinidad and Trent Correy.
Sunday 11th September 2022
Disney Original Documentary’s Sneak Peek of Mickey: The Story of a Mouse
10:00 am – 11:00 am PT on the Backlot Stage
- Disney Original Documentary presents a panel dedicated to Mickey: The Story of a Mouse, which celebrates one of the world’s most beloved icons, Mickey Mouse. Hosted by Bret Iwan, the official voice of Mickey himself, the panel will include filmmakers and select film participants. Attendees will get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film as well, as an exclusive sneak peek.
The Cast and Creators of the Disney+ Series The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder
10:30 am – 11:30 am PT on the Premiere Stage
- The cast and creative team of the Disney+ animated series The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder gather to discuss the acclaimed revival of the groundbreaking series The Proud Family and share an inside look at the upcoming season.
FX’s AHS: Behind the Screams
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm PT on the Backlot Stage
- Join the legendary designers, artists, and stylists responsible for creating the iconic looks of your beloved AHS characters. Fans will get inside details on how it all comes together, where fashion and horror intersect, and how these creatives keep things fresh after 11 installments and an anthology spin-off. Panelists include producer and costume designer Lou Eyrich and producer and makeup artist Eryn Krueger Mekash.
Dancing with the Stars 31st Season Celebration
6:00 pm – 7:00 pm PT on the Backlot stage
- Stars of the hit competition series Dancing with the Stars come together to celebrate 31 seasons of memorable performances, award-winning choreography and, of course, Mirrorball trophies.
Disney+ Interactive Experiences
Walt Disney Animation and Pixar will also be found on the show floor with some immersive animation experiences for fans, including a six-foot-tall red panda that will greet fans, celebrating Pixar’s “Turning Red” and a photo op with Buzz Lightyear and his robot companion cat Sox. Disney Animation will invite guests into the realms of Strange World, Encanto, and more through engaging photo experiences. Fans will also get opportunities to meet the teams behind the series and movies, with autograph signings of exclusive art and promotional item giveaways.
Disney General Entertainment is bringing more than 30 fan-favorite programs under one roof at this year’s D23 Expo. Through interactive activations on the convention floor at the “Journey Into Storytelling” pavilion, which will allow fans will immerse themselves in the wonders of storytelling from some of the most iconic and culture-defining shows across every genre on television and streaming, created by content brands ABC Entertainment, ABC News, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic Content and Onyx Collective.
Through the “Journey Into Storytelling” experience on the show floor pavilion, there is a story for everyone. Fans are invited to immerse themselves in the various worlds of their favorite programming, or perhaps even discover their new favorites, with interactive experiences from “Abbott Elementary,” “American Born Chinese,” “American Horror Story,” “Cruel Summer,” “Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory,” “Fire of Love,” “Good Morning America,” “Grey’s Anatomy,” “The Kardashians,” “Legacy: The True Story of the LA Lakers,” “Limitless with Chris Hemsworth,” “National Treasure: Edge of History,” “Only Murders in the Building” and “ZOMBIES 3.” There will be photo and video activations along with gamification throughout the pavilion.
Here are some of the details on the Disney+ related activations:
“American Born Chinese” – Mythical Staff Maneuvers
Learn how to master the staff alongside the mythical Chinese heroes featured in Disney Branded Television’s “American Born Chinese.”
“National Treasure: Edge of History” – Clue Room Zoom
Gear up for an archeological adventure by searching for clues in the secret tunnel of the pyramid with Disney Branded Television’s “National Treasure: Edge of History.”
“Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory” (Disney+); “Fire of Love” (Disney+); “Limitless with Chris Hemsworth”
Push your own limits by becoming an explorer at some of the most stunning environmental settings around the world with National Geographic.
Disney+ Day will return the day before the D23 Expo starts on Thursday 8th September 8, 2022. In celebration, the streaming service will host special experiences for fans and subscribers, and will premiere new content from its marquee brands – Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic.
Disney+ Day highlights include:
Academy Award winner Robert Zemeckis directs this live action retelling of the beloved tale of a wooden puppet who embarks on a thrilling adventure to become a real boy. Tom Hanks stars as Geppetto, the wood carver who builds and treats Pinocchio (Benjamin Evan Ainsworth) as if he were his own son. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Jiminy Cricket, who serves as Pinocchio’s guide as well as his “conscience”; Academy Award nominee Cynthia Erivo is the Blue Fairy; Keegan-Michael Key is “Honest” John; Academy Award nominee Lorraine Bracco is Sofia the Seagull, a new character, and Luke Evans is The Coachman.
Thor: Love and Thunder
Thor: Love and Thunder finds the God of Thunder (Chris Hemsworth) on a journey unlike anything he’s ever faced – one of self-discovery. But his efforts are interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher (Christian Bale), who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Taika Waititi) and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who – to Thor’s surprise – inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher’s vengeance and stop him before it’s too late.
Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of Thor: Love and Thunder
Settle in with the likes of Taika Waititi, Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, and Tessa Thompson, and as they divulge the secrets behind the creation of Thor: Love and Thunder. Through in-depth interviews with cast and crew, along with raw, unseen footage from the set and beyond, ASSEMBLED pulls back the curtain on the God of Thunder’s fourth feature film.
Cars On The Road
The Disney+ Original series follows Lightning McQueen (voice of Owen Wilson) and his best friend Mater (voice of Larry the Cable Guy) as they head east from Radiator Springs on a cross-country road trip to meet up with Mater’s sister.
This new series follows Eric Dalaras ( Pedro Maurizi ), a teenager who discovers a chilling world while searching for the truth behind the mysterious disappearance of his parents eight years ago. Raised by his maternal grandparents along with his sister Uma ( Mora Fisz ), Eric decides to run away from home and return to the town of his childhood, Cabo Qwert, to find answers in the abandoned Tierra Incógnita park, where his parents were last seen. . Together with his friends, his sister and his aunt, Eric must overcome his fears to solve the mystery and find answers in a universe as dark as it is unknown.
Wedding Season – International
The genre-busting series tells the story of Katie and Stefan who fall for each other at a wedding and begin an affair, despite Katie already having a fiancé. Two months later at Katie’s wedding, her new husband and his entire family are murdered. The police think Stefan did it. Stefan thinks Katie did it. And no one knows for sure what the truth is… The series is an action-packed romp across the UK and the US as Katie and Stefan go on the run, all while trying to prove their innocence. This series will be available on Hulu in the US, Star+ in Latin America and on Disney+ globally.
For the ultimate Disney fans, D23 Expo 2022 will feature never-before-seen, limited-edition merchandise from across Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more.
- D23 EXPO MARKETPLACE: Debuting on the show floor this year is an all-new shopping experience, D23 Expo Marketplace. This 27,000-square-foot retail location offers merchandise from fan-favorite collections and characters across Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and more, including limited-edition merchandise and the availability of the first items celebrating Disney’s 100th Anniversary. The D23 Expo Marketplace brings together the most exciting offerings from shopDisney, Disney store, and Disney Parks into one shopping destination for a wide assortment of curated brand collections, specialty items, and milestone anniversary collectibles.
- MICKEY’S OF GLENDALE: Mickey’s of Glendale, the Walt Disney Imagineering store, will have three unique retail spaces for D23 Expo attendees to check out at the Anaheim Convention Center.
There are a few ways for attendees to navigate the shopping experience with ease:
- Virtual Queue: Attendees will be able to sign up for an available boarding group in a virtual queue for D23 Expo Marketplace, Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store, or Mickey’s of Glendale Pin Store by using the Disneyland Resort app and scanning a QR code located at the store’s entrance.
- Merchandise Mobile Checkout: Pay for items from D23 Expo Marketplace, D23 Expo Shop x Mickey’s of Glendale, or Mickey’s of Glendale Main Store via the Disneyland Resort app to save time!
- StorePass: To shop select limited-edition collection items, attendees will be able to reserve via StorePass, an online reservation system prior to the start of D23 Expo. Details on how to get a StorePass reservation will be announced later this summer.
What’s On Disney Plus will be attending the D23 Expo and providing coverage of all the news and much more from the event. So make sure you follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook to keep up with the latest Disney+ news from D23 Expo.