Disney’s 20th Television is currently developing a brand new pilot called ‘AZNBBGRL’, which is set in the vibrant Vietnamese community of Little Saigon in Southern California’s Orange County, “AZNBBGRL” is a coming-of-age story about three Asian American teenagers driven by a desire to break free from generational expectations and carve out their own place in the world. Together, these three very different women find escape and form a bond deeper than family when they become entangled with a street gang that offers them a way out.
The cast of this upcoming pilot has been revealed by Deadline, who are reporting that Cathy Bui, Lynn Kim Do, and Jazelle Villanueva will be playing the lead roles in the pilot. Also starring in the series will be Quentin Nguyen-Duy, Alejandro Akaram, Audrey Huynh, and Cat Ly.
- Cathy Bui will portray, Anh, a hard-working girl focused on getting into a top college. However, her dream is derailed when she and her best friend Jenny are forced into a scheme that leads them to a street gang. Cathy Bui has previously starred in “All I Ever Wanted”.
- Lynn Kim Do is going to play the outspoken Jenny, born to a well-off family, but constricted by her parent’s expectations. When a traumatic event leaves her emotionally scarred, Jenny enlists her best friend Anh in a dangerous plan. Lynn has previously starred in FBI: Most Wanted.
- Jazelle Villanueva will be playing the part of Dang-Dang, a ferocious young woman who can’t seem to escape her troubled past. Dang-Dang is initially at odds with Jenny but forms a surprising and deep friendship with Jenny and Ahn.
- Quentin Nguyen-Duy will star as Richie, a rising member of a local street gang with musical aspirations. Anh and Jenny are surprised to learn Richie is their former classmate, who has transformed from a nerdy kid to a charming young man. Quentin has previously starred in “Law & Order: SVU”.
- Alejandro Akara plays Gabriel, Anh’s ex-boyfriend who’s still in love with her, but his parents’ overly conservative views pose complications.
- Audrey Huynh will portray Bella, Jenny’s younger sister who presents a perfect front for her parents but relaxes into the snarky teen she really is away from their eyes. Audrey has previously starred in Dark Harvest.
- Cat Ly portrays Ah-Yee (Anh’s aunt), a strong-willed Chinese Vietnamese American restaurant owner who’s blindsided by an extortionist. She has previously starred in Owl and the Sparrow.
The title “AZNBBGRL”, comes from the term, Asian Baby Girl or ABG, which is used within Asian communities to describe a subculture of women who subverted the “model minority” stereotype.
“AZNBBGRL” is executive produced by Chaidez, Thai, Kai Yu Wu, and Melvin Mar, and Jake Kasdan for The Detective Agency. Wu will serve as showrunner. Thai will also direct.
20th Television is creating the pilot for Freeform, so we should also expect should the pilot be made into a series, that it’ll be also be released on Hulu in the US and as a Star Original internationally on Disney+.