“The Mysterious Benedict Society” Writers React To The Show’s Upcoming Removal From Disney+
Last week, during Disney’s quarterly investors call, Disney’s CFO Christine McCarthy revealed they would be removing more content from its streaming services, including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Star+ and Hotstar.
We are in the process of reviewing the content on our DTC services to align with the strategic changes in our approach to content curation that you’ve heard Bob discuss. As a result, we will be removing certain content from our streaming platforms and currently expect to take an impairment charge of approximately $1.5 billion to $1.8 billion. The charge, which will not be recorded in our segment results, will primarily be recognized in the third quarter as we complete our review and remove the content.
An impairment charge is a term used to account for an asset that is no longer as valuable as it may have once been.
This week, it has been confirmed that Disney will be removing over 60 titles, including “The Mysterious Benedict Society” from its streaming services around the world, including Hulu, Star+ and Disney+ on May 26th 2023
The list of shows also includes some well-known shows and films, including “Howard”, “Willow”, “Big Shot”, “Pistol”, “The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers”, “Diary Of A Future President”, “Maggie” and many more.
Some of the writers on “The Mysterious Benedict Society” have taken to social media to share their reactions to the news that the show is going to be removed from Disney+ globally on May 26th 2023. This follows the news that earlier this year, Disney was cancelling the show after two seasons.
James Earl, who was a writer on the show, took to social media to say:
I wrote on both seasons of THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY. Some of my proudest work. My nephews just became the right age to really enjoy it. My sister, a teacher, shows episodes to her students. As long as it is stream-able, I GET PAID. Now it will be gone forever.
Another writer on the show, Phil Hay said:
Including THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY. If you’d like to see the beautiful work of hundreds of creative people on the show, try to do so before May 26. This is today in Hollywood.
Hopefully at some point someone will buy it for an ad-supported channel but we don’t know.
Chelsey Lora, who was also a writer on the series said:
Infuriating 💔💔 Please watch our beloved THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY while you still can. The studios claim they have enough content to weather to strike, yet they’re pulling these amazing shows⁉️
The show stars Emmy Award winner Tony Hale (“Veep,” “Arrested Development”) in the titular role and features a standout ensemble of young actors. Placed undercover at a boarding school known as The Institute, a group of orphans must foil a nefarious plot with global ramifications while creating a new sort of family along the way. The original book, upon which the eight-episode first season is based, was named a Time magazine “Best Young Adult Book of all Time” and sold over 3 million copies.
Based on the best-selling book series by Trenton Lee Stewart, the series has been created and written by Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay with Darren Swimmer and Todd Slavin as showrunners, “The Mysterious Benedict Society” stars Emmy award-winner Tony Hale in dual roles as twin brothers Mr. Benedict and Mr. Curtain, the series’ protagonist, and antagonist, respectively.
If you haven’t already watched this show or want to rewatch it before it goes, both seasons are still available on Disney+ until May 26th 2023.
What do you think of Disney removing “The Mysterious Benedict Society”? Let us know on social media!