‘Abbott Elementary’ Wins 4 Television Critics Association Awards
The winners of the 38th Annual Television Critics Association (TCA) Awards have been announced, which recognise the best television offerings from the past year.
The winners were selected by the TCA’s membership of more than 200 TV journalists from across the United States and Canada. Due to concerns due to rising levels of Covid-19, the awards were announced virtually.
Melanie McFarland, TCA President and TV Critic for Salon said in a statement:
“Tonight was supposed to be our first time celebrating the TCA Awards in-person since 2019—unfortunately, it was not meant to be. Despite this development, we are proud to announce this year’s roster of talented TCA Award winners. Each of them played a vital role in making the 2021-2022 television season one of the best in recent memory. We sincerely congratulate all of our honorees, and we look forward to gathering in person once again in 2023.”
A number of Disney shows have picked up awards at this year’s event, with the Disney+ Original series, “The Beatles: Get Back”, winning the Outstanding Achievement In News And Information Award.
The Hulu/Star Original “Dopesick” picked up the award in the Outstanding Achievement In Movies, Miniseries, Or Specials category. While Mandy Moore, won the award for Individual Achievement In Drama for the 20th Television series, “This Is Us”.
But the biggest winner of the night was ABC’s” Abbott Elementary”, which is available to stream on Hulu in the US and released internationally as a Star Original on Disney+. The new comedy series won four awards, including Individual Achievement In Comedy for series creator, producer, writer, and star, Quinta Brunson; as well as Outstanding Achievement In Comedy, Outstanding New Program, and the Program Of The Year Award.
Steve Martin was also made a Career Achievement Honoree, and he can be seen currently in the Hulu/Star Original series, “Only Murders In The Building”.
Here’s a list of the winners:
- Individual Achievement In Drama: Mandy Moore (THIS IS US, NBC)
- Individual Achievement In Comedy: Quinta Brunson (ABBOTT ELEMENTARY, ABC)
- Outstanding Achievement In News and Information: THE BEATLES: GET BACK (Disney+)
- Outstanding Achievement In Reality Programming: TIE: THE AMAZING RACE (CBS), LEGENDARY (HBO Max)
- Outstanding Achievement In Youth Programming: THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement In Variety, Talk Or Sketch: I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE WITH TIM ROBINSON (Netflix)
- Outstanding New Program: ABBOTT ELEMENTARY (ABC)
- Outstanding Achievement In Movies, Miniseries, Or Specials: DOPESICK (Hulu)
- Outstanding Achievement In Drama: SUCCESSION (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement In Comedy: ABBOTT ELEMENTARY (ABC)
- Program of the Year: ABBOTT ELEMENTARY (ABC)
- Career Achievement Honoree: TIE: Ted Danson & Steve Martin
- Heritage Award: I LOVE LUCY (CBS)