New casting details have been revealed for the upcoming Hulu/Star Original drama series “The Dropout”, which is inspired by the ABC News podcast of the same name chronicling the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her company, Theranos. The series will explore what caused the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire, once heralded as “the next Steve Jobs,” to lose everything in the blink of an eye.
It will star Amanda Seyfried, William H. Macy, Laurie Metcalf, Elizabeth Marvel, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Kate Burton, Stephen Fry, Michel Gill, Michael Ironside, Bill Irwin and Josh Pais.
Deadline has revealed that the following cast have joined the limited series:
- Dylan Minnette plays Tyler Shultz, A biology major at the University of Stanford, and the grandson of George Shultz. After getting his first ever job at Theranos, he finds out that the company is manipulating data.
- Hart Bochner plays Larry Ellison. Handsome, charismatic and wealthy, he’s interested in Elizabeth’s cutting-edge home healthcare innovation.
- Bashir Salahuddin plays Brendan Morris. Gruff yet intelligent, he is a lead electrical engineer at Elizabeth’s start-up, who takes the company’s tech in a different direction.
- Mary Lynn Rajskub plays Lorraine Fuisz, Richard Fuisz’s (Wiliam H. Macy) wife.
- Alan Ruck plays Jay Rosan. Jay works for Walgreens at the corporate headquarters in Chicago as part of the “Innovation Team”. He believes that Walgreens has been offered the opportunity of a lifetime.
- James Hiroyuki Liao plays Edmond Ku. He is head of engineering at Elizabeth’s start-up, working feverishly to finish the prototype on a device that could reshape the healthcare industry.
- Nicky Endres plays Ana Arriola. Ana was a big designer at Apple, who Elizabeth recruited. She has reservations about how they’re testing the Theranos prototype.
- Camryn Mi-Young Kim plays Erika Cheung. A recent Berkeley graduate, she makes the decision to skip grad school to work at Theranos. After discovering the company is manipulating data, she sets off to find out, and ultimately expose, the truth.
- Andrew Leeds will appear as Roland. A know-it-all, he is the “Yes Man” to the CFO of Walgreen’s.
This new series is being created by 20th Television and Searchlight TV for Hulu and Star On Disney+ internationally.
The eight-episode series was originally announced to debut in 2021, however, with filming on the series still underway, no release date has yet been announced.