Last month, Disney released 6 new shorts as part of a new Launchpad Shorts Incubator onto Disney+ including “Growing Fangs”, “Dinner Is Served” and many more.
Disney is also running a second season and applications must be in by 11:59 pm PST Friday 11th June.
With a focus on building a more inclusive entertainment industry, Disney is looking for experienced writers and directors from underrepresented backgrounds with diverse and varied perspectives, including but certainly not limited to women, people of color, the LGBTQ community, various religious groups, military veterans, people with disabilities and others, to produce a short in the Disney Launchpad: Shorts Incubator program.
The second season will be themed around “Connection” and Disney is looking to tell stories that explore this theme in surprising and unexpected ways.
In the Launchpad, writers and directors will be paired with Disney creative executives who will serve as mentors. Additionally, with the full support of the studio behind them, they will learn how to creatively collaborate and work effectively with their studio partners. Select shorts will have the opportunity to live on Disney+ and it is possible that they may be considered for further development for long-form or episodic motion pictures, based on the short’s quality, performance on the platform, future arcs, and other factors, though future development is not guaranteed.
The Launchpad is a twelve (12) month program and will include the following (please note that timeframes and program parameters are subject to change):
- Four (4) months of script development and professional development classes, specifically designed to strengthen your professional and storytelling skills.
- Bringing the robust curriculum of the American Film Institute (“AFI”) to the Launchpad, classes for the writers and directors will be led primarily by our educational partner, AFI, and held once or twice per week on the Disney studio lot in Burbank, California from 6:30pm – 10pm PT, with one (1) Saturday field trip to the AFI campus in Los Angeles (Please note that depending on the state of the pandemic, classes may be conducted remotely for safety reasons).
- A staggered production schedule, which will include: up to eight (8) weeks of pre-production, ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks of principal photography (staggered schedule for all six (6) projects), and up to ten (10) weeks of post-production.
When applying, you will need to provide the following:
- One (1) Directing Sample if you are applying as a Director, One (1) Short Film Script if you are applying as a Writer and both if you are applying as a Writer/Director.
- Legal Agreements
- One (1) Professional Reference (Optional)
You can apply by visiting Disney’s official Launchpad website.
The first season of “Launchpad” is available now on Disney+?
Will you be applying?